Thursday, June 15, 2006

i was in the middle of a dream this morning, which of course felt like reality, when all of a sudden i thought i heard someone whisper very softly next to my ear, "stop" and then everything went black. i was very confused at the time because i was having an "elementary school reunion" at denny's and all my old pals were dressed up. i remember all the small details of the place, from the tiles and carpet on the floor to the tables full of plates and different orders to the weird smell of all the food mixing together. even the costumes my friends were wearing; everyone was dressed up like animals and i could see with great clarity the detail of feathers, smooth surfaces, etc. it was odd to all of a sudden have everything go black.

i opened my eyes to notice that i was actually in my bed, covered in blankets. i started to move my head to the other side of my bed where my clock is when i felt shaking!! omg, an earthquake!! it seemed pretty strong, and i could hear the whole house creaking, so i jumped up and ran into the doorway. at this point, i'm thinking it's insane that i've woken up from an earthquake. i pretty much sleep through anything, including a fire alarm AND fire on my floor my freshman year at the dorms at davis.

i assumed erik would walk outside his door at any moment, or maybe i'd hear my mom or dad downstairs check on us. after the house finished settling, i went downstairs to see if anyone did wake up, and there was silence!! nobody else woke up!! i jumped on my dad's computer and went to the us geoglogical site cause i'm a big nerd. after every earthquake i feel, i always go there and fill out the form about what i felt, where i was, how i reacted, etc. also, they have cool maps of the intensity of the quake by region, area code, and you can see how big it was, and any little aftershocks.

i was disappointed to find out that it was only 4.7. for some reason, the shaking felt pretty intense to me, and i thought it was at least a 5.5 from my house. i'm not sure if the shaking just felt intensified since i was on my bed, and that might have been rocking back and forth a bit more because of the type of earthquake waves.

i tried going back to sleep, but when you're awake at 5:24 and excited, it's hard to rest your pretty little head for another hour. :)

No comments: